Re: designing a new art room

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 09:58:51 -0500

Respond to this message.

ArtsEdNetters--Debbie's email address isn't working, so please pardon the
added clutter on this list.--Mark

>Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 09:38:35 -0500
>To:"Debbie M. Zafereo" <mailhost.crp.infi.net>
>From:(Mark Alexander) mamjam
>Subject:Re: designing a new art room
>
>Thanks, Debbie!
>
>I agree with your suggestions, especially about the island sinks and the
>need for horizontal (not vertical) storage of flat work.
>
>All the rooms I work in have little sinks, but for me to use them I have
>to kneel on the floor because it hurts my back to lean down so low. Also,
>I have my back to the students when I'm at the sink. Higher island sinks
>(with a step for little ones) would be great!
>
>Right now my flat work storage consists of three bread delivery racks
>stacked under a table in the Title One reading room. I have real trouble
>storing ongoing projects, projects waiting for grading, and art work for
>the spring art show in these three racks. In an art room, even if we can't
>afford real print cases, I could make a stack of bread racks to the
>ceiling.
>
>Thanks for your input. You've helped me formulate priorities to offer the
>building committee. We should know more about the project in June.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark
>

>At 6:47 PM 2/22/97, Debbie M. Zafereo wrote:
>>Mark,
>>2 budget related observations from my last 2 middle schools.
>>School #1:
>>I got spoiled by the island sinks. I could work at one & never turn my
>>back on the class. There were only 2 sinks so that's 1/2 as much as the 4
>>I have now. I have a daily traffic jam against the wall even though there
>>are twice as many. This problem goes away with circulation all around.
>>School #2:
>>I hate the student slots - tall vertical cabinets. Great in high school,
>>but we stand on a milk crate to reach 1/2 of them. The top few are only
>>for TALL kids on crate.
>>Shelves are almost 1" thick, so there are only 24 for 30+ kids. 1/4"
>>hardboard would be much cheaper & allow for all students. Paper & art
>>supplies don't weigh much.
>>Be sure to post a message WHEN you get the money.
>>Debbie in Corpus Christi, TX

)))))))))} {{{
Mark Alexander ))){{{{{{{{)){{{{{}{{{

1-8 Art on the Cart ))})}} } {{}}} {({{{
Lee H. Kellogg School )))}}} }(({{
Falls Village, CT 06031 }} ! (({{
))}} ~````~ ^^~~~~' ((({
))}} `` `'\ / ''''' ((