Re: arts loss?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 11:30:17 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, EILEEN PRINCE wrote:

> I, too, worry that in our attempts to create interdisciplinary studies, we
> will lose art as a discrete discipline with a unique perspective and end up
> with merely some hands-on projects for social studies and language arts -
> the so-called "solid" subjects.

Can art be "lost" Eileen? I think the richness of art can wax and wane but
I'm not too sure that we can lose it entirely. When we lose art I think
that that might signify that we have lost ourselves, our individuality,
our identity, our vision, and our humanity... becoming just another
trooping or herd animal. To be fair that is not the sense in which you
made your statement, but it is something to be considered in light of it.

The arts can be subsumed within other disciplines, and historically this
seems to be a "tidal" or cyclical occurance and part of arts larger and
longer ecology. When or where the arts are so subsumed they refresh the
disciplines in which they are "lost" and, in time, they reemerge,
refreshed and recharged themselves with new vitality. The arts are alive.
We each find our role or vocation within them. Keep the faith, Don't
worry, fear IS a "mind killer" and "a little death" as Herbert so
effectively put it.

It sounds like you have things well in hand, I'd like to go out to
Sycamore School and see what you've accomplished. Your models and
methodology and those I have are probably at wide variance, which is good!
We need diversity of ideas. Thanks for letting me jump in here...

-henry