Re: Diane Gregory's questions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
EILEEN PRINCE (eprinc1)
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 09:17:09 -0600 (CST)

>To: DebbieDBAE
>From: EILEEN PRINCE <eprinc1>
>Subject: Re: Diane Gregory's questions
>
>At 08:22 AM 3/23/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>BRAVO!!! to Eileen for her insightful responses to your questions, which I
>>also think are wonderful. To your first question "What makes a good art
>>teacher?", I truly concur with Eileen about high expectations. I also
>>believe two other areas are key factors in separating those who just relay
>>information or subject area content from those who are master teachers...
>>1. That every master teacher is also a researcher/learner on a continuous
>>basis. Learning about art, exploring artists of the past and present, their
>> inspiration or desperation, feelings for and depth of works...so much to
>>learn about, and every little bit of information creates another subtle
>>nuance of understanding .....
>>2. That every master teacher occasionally allow themselves the luxury of
>>observing other master teachers at work...in all disciplines...what a
>>valuable way to stay current and fresh!
>>3. (Allright...I said two...but I guess I can't assume this one goes without
>>saying...) That every master teacher has a passion for his/her
>>subject...especially the arts...for it is passion that makes us create!
>>
>>Dealing with content....I can truly say I have never been at a loss for WHAT
>>to teach...just a lack of time to teach it all in!
>>
>>And the last thing I would like to leave you with is this...that when we
>>teach, if we do not leave our students with a wonderful(delicious,
>>intriguing, provacative) problem to solve...we have simply been relaying
>>information..."Teach on!", Diane...it sounds as if you are truly becoming a
>>master!
>>
>>Debbie
>
>BRAVO right back at you. Your #1 response is absolutely true!!! Perhaps
that's what causes us the problem with having enough time to teach it "all"
- the "all" keeps growing and growing! There is a phrase in the Talmud to
the effect that "we are not required to complete the task, but we are
required to begin the task." I try to remember that when I feel I "didn't
get anything done." I TOTALLY agree with your closing comments. Perhaps
what good teachers do, ultimately, is to make their students want to learn
more about a subject themselves, long after "class" is over. Keep in touch.