Re: censorship

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Leon R. Nuell (lrnuell)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 15:01:36 -0600 (CST)

There is a big (gigantic) difference between pornography and nudity as
found in objects and images in museums. Adults make problems for kids
when they insist that nudity as seen in the museum is nasty, evil and
pornographic. Find your city's poicy definition of pornography and use
that as a basis for discussion with teachers about how the museum images
differs. Teachers should inform parents of the museum trip, of the fact
that there are depictions of human figures with and without clothing and
to so inform the teacher if their child willnot be permitted to go on the
field trip. We have failed in our education of adults re the notion of
art and representation of the human form.