DBAE & art criticism. (fwd)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
robert L. Snyder (rsnyder)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 15:43:52 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 15:40:38 -0500 (EST)
From: robert L. Snyder <rsnyder>
To: walkup
Subject: DBAE & art criticism.

A while back you mentioned the 2 Websters' definitions of criticism.

You suggested that people too often refer to / focus on the 1st one (that
criticism is negative or unfavorable commentary) and neglect the 2nd
defintion (that crit. is analysis and evaluation of art).

I agree this 2nd defin. is overlooked and it is the most appropriate oen
for art crit. For students to really analyse and think about art and what
the artist intends; the reason/purpose behind it and the ideas in back of
it, are what's really important.

Students can then consider their own artworks in context with how they
reflect on others. Ideas can be developed for one's own art based on
reflection/understanding/analysis of others. Art production is more than
only process- the act of doing art. It needs foundation, purpose, reason,
meaning, intent, etc...

Nancy, am I on target?? Do you concur??

I'm an art education student at the Univ. of Maryland. I also teach ESL
classes in the evenings to adults and occasionally do some substitute
teaching, to pay the bills.

-Rob Snyder