Re: New Art Examiner

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kathrine L Walker (klwalk)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 09:15:41 -0600 (CST)

If you want a real challenge to "What Is Art" read some of the work of
Arthur Danto, art critique for The Nation. In his lecture here at Kansas
State University last night entitled "Museums and the Thirsting
Millions" he talked quite eloquently about the connection of art to the
beholder. "... art is valid for those to whom the art constitutes and
art of their own." Basically people search for art they can relate to.
This may or may not be the art that is displayed in museums, or is
recognized as art by most of us. One of his examples was a box of candy
developed by workers in a candy factory in Chicagoe as part of an NEA
grant on public culture. To the people developing their candy "Gotta
Have It" it was a work of art.

One more quote that I think we could all appreciate: "The same works will
not affect the same people in the same way every time," Danto said, "but
that's whiy we go back to the masterpieces. We go back not because we'll
see something new in the piece of art, but because we know there's a
possibility to see something new in ourselves or in our world."

Just thought I'd share a neat experience.

Kathrine Walker, Beach Museum of Art, Kansas State