Re: response to censorship (jennifer Watt)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Amy L Pate (apate)
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 20:28:22 -0700 (MST)

Jennifer,

I teach Graphic arts to high shcool and college students, many of which
are gang members. Although I do not personally approve of 'tagging' pr
grafitti art, I take the letters that they create, and try to teach them
about typography. Many of the latest fonts found in advevertising today
are based on street desings. It is a way of getting their attention and
looking at a more positive side of grafitti.

Amy

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Jennifer
Watt wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I am a student teacher, I have only been at it for a short time, but
> during my observations and teaching I have noticed something about the
> students. They test you to the limit. I think that in most cases the
> students really know what is appropriate. There are a few that possibly
> don't. If I were you I would first of all consider the school guidelines,
> and if they don't specifically say something about the symbol or subject
> that the student is using, than use your own judgement. I have students
> that are very hard to motivate, so in my case I would not want to
> discourage them.
> I would try to take the subject that they are using and ask them
> how they feel about it. Instead of them the symbol, or what ever it might
> be, in a negative way, see if you can turn it around.
> Ex. If they want to do a pot leaf, ask them to do something that
> expresses their views of the use of drugs without actually using the
> symbol. Maybe we can make them think about expressing their feelings and
> distract them from what seem to be negative trends.
> I hope I could be of some help.
>
> Good Luck
> >From Jennifer Watt
> Student Teacher Art (K-12)