Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: March 10, 2012

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2012 - 10:01:14 PDT

RE: taking notes on lessons

Hi Carol- Evernote is cool, but I find notes need to be written ASAP
or I forget (especially those first 4 classes of the day that are
"back-to-backs". So I made a custom planner template for my desk,
print-it out & copy, punched 3 holes in it, then put in an old
notebook. I have sections for the 3 grades I teach, write the simple
one-sentence summaries of the LP on the 1st page. The second page is
where I write quick notes for each class for that day (who was absent,
who is struggling/why, how the pacing is going, etc.). I either write
those observations as the class is close to clean-up, or as the new
class is coming in & getting ready to start (the expectation is that
each class comes in quietly and sits down, so I have a brief minute or
so to write). Those quick notes have been so helpful in myriad ways:
documentation, data, reminders of something I worked on with a
student). I have 6 classes a day, 2 each of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade,
and my day happily flies by, but looking at the notes from the prior
week before the class comes in (art once a week) helps me out a lot.
Each class is different really, so pacing for each class gets adjusted
based on my notes. I also blog about my curriculum, which is a nice
repository for year-to-year...I have the giant binder of LP's, but
since I am always adjusting, they really get re-created each year.
Hand-outs (which I rarely use, but need at least 250 per grade level)
are stored on one shelf in my art closet & I try to keep the stock
updated as I run low (nobody likes to get "behind" the art teacher for
the copy machine at my school, LOL). I laminate "table sets" of visual
reference and keep those in my closet also.
-Lois G.

--
"That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be
harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean