FW: [teacherartexchange] Greek and Roman Architecture and Today

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2012 - 07:00:52 PST

 Hi Sarah
 I taught AP Art History which covers architecture. There are so many elements to teaching architecture that if I were you I would reduce it down to the main ones.

Greek
 Columns (3 types) plus carytids
 Pediments
 Frieze
 Portico
 Ampitheater

Roman
 Arches (including aquaducts, bridges, triumphal arches)
 Barrel vault, groin vault
 Colosseum
 Concrete (use of)
 Domes
 City planning in general

I would have my students bring their sketchbooks and thin line markers (so they can't get so fussy and spend time erasing all of the time, when they should be looking). Perhaps I would even have them use different color markers for different things. So for example if they did a quick sketch of the local bank facade (which might be neoclassical, with columns, etc), I would have them do the columns in one color and if it had a pediment (in another), and if the doorway was arched, in another.

San D