Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

FW: [teacherartexchange] Greek and Roman Architecture and Today

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2012 - 07:00:52 PST

 Hi Sarah
 I taught AP Art History which covers architecture. There are so many elements to teaching architecture that if I were you I would reduce it down to the main ones.
 Columns (3 types) plus carytids
 Arches (including aquaducts, bridges, triumphal arches)
 Barrel vault, groin vault
 Concrete (use of)
 City planning in general
I would have my students bring their sketchbooks and thin line markers (so they can't get so fussy and spend time erasing all of the time, when they should be looking). Perhaps I would even have them use different color markers for different things. So for example if they did a quick sketch of the local bank facade (which might be neoclassical, with columns, etc), I would have them do the columns in one color and if it had a pediment (in another), and if the doorway was arched, in another.
San D

> Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 07:31:37 -0500
> Subject: [teacherartexchange] Greek and Roman Architecture and Today
> To:
> My seventh grade students are currently studying Ancient Greece and
> Rome. I would like to complete an architecture lesson focused on the
> influence of the style on buildings in the U.S. I plan to take the
> students through a "photo tour" of our city then ask them to design a
> new building for the city that includes aspects of Greek and/or Roman
> architecture.
> Does anyone have suggestions for materials to complete this activity
> (watercolor, pen and ink, pencil) or suggestions for resources for me
> to check out before presenting the background information to the
> students? I have never taught architecture or Greek or Roman art, but
> both are a part of the curriculum at my new school.
> Feel free to email me off the list.
> Thank you!
> Sarah Kerns
> Quincy, MA