Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: March 26, 2011

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 27 2011 - 09:15:04 PDT

Subject: RE: slab roller

  I actually like the students to roll out their own slabs using
rolling pins. I put a chunk of clay in the middle of each table on a
fabric square (about 14" sq.), and have them take turns rolling it out
to "pinky thickness", about 3/8", which works the clay almost to the
edge of the fabric square). Then, using square cardboard templates,
they can cut 4 tiles from it (4 students to each table). We can do
this, & work on the tile designs, & get cleaned up in the class period
(45 min.). I've been doing it this way for nine years now & the tiles
come out great! (4th grade). I have 225 tiles waiting to be
glaze-fired right now...5th grade rolls their own out individually for
slab built containers or slump molds. Slab rollers are nice, but for
me, the more hands-on for the students, the better. I do plan on using
the slab roller for a tile mural project next year (so they are 100%
the same thickness). --Lois G.