[teacherartexchange] For "Race to the Top" teachers: a question

---------

From: watercolorwiz (watercolorwiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2011 - 18:03:38 PDT

My state, Tennessee, was one of the "lucky" ones to receive funding. Which
meant that I "got" to take a 12-segment computer tutorial on reading value-added
data. How many of the rest of you whose states also got funding have had to do
this? The company that produced it--Battelle-spent precious little money on
production values, so it will be interesting to see how many of us whose
evaluations aren't as directly tied to student "progress" (I'm using too many
air-quotes--sorry) can retain this stuff.

By the way--my state has decided that art teachers (and the rest of us non-core
subject areas) will be evaluated using 50% of the top three quintile scores from
our schools; 35% from two,hour-long evaluations done by the senior administrator
each year; and 15% from a variety of options.

Heaven help us all.