Re:[teacherartexchange] Weya Story Quilts from Zimbabwe - one more source for Quilts

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2011 - 08:21:43 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Oh I love how this works! Ellin sent me another great source for the
story quilts:
www.zimbabweartistsproject.org

Fortunately, the Story Quilt I like best from Zimbabwe Artist Project
is sold or I would have had a real dilemma. I did order 2 sets of
cards (calendar I wanted is also sold out - bummer).

You will find a great T-shirt, too - along with original board
paintings and gorgeous embroideries. I have two embroideries already
from African Fabrics UK.

So.... now after my cards and book arrive.... I will offer the book
(on loan only) and a set of cards as visuals (loan only) to art
teachers wanting to do a lesson. What I have done in the past, is
offered a "mail it forward". I will collect a maximum of five teachers
who want to do a lesson. You are free to scan images from the book and
cards - keep them a max. of two weeks - then mail it forward to the
next person on the list. Those who sign up must be folks I have heard
from before.... as I did lose a video in the "mail it forward" a while
back. Wasn't a problem for me as I made copies of the videos for me to
keep - just in case. I don't want to lose this book. Hmmm... I lost a
book once too (but that book had been a gift to me - so not a great
financial loss).

Other links poster were Africa Direct - enter Weya in the search and
the page with all with come up.
http://www.africadirect.com/

World Folk Art:
http://worldfolkart.org/
Go to Art for the Wall - then Textiles
Correction - smaller ones are only $42.00. If I remember correctly,
shipping is a standard $6.00

Zimbabwe Artist Project:
http://www.zimbabweartistsproject.org

A while back, a list member was asking for information on the Peruvian
appliques. It would be nice to tie these two together in a lesson.
http://andes.novica.com/folk-art/patchwork-art/

Enjoy,

Judy Decker