Re:[teacherartexchange] Firing

---------

From: KulasFamily (makul9_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 15:18:33 PST

Tara,
I can imagine your feelings of intimidation!
A couple of suggestions:
Perhaps you could fire on a day that the kids are not in school (Do you ever
have teacher days?)?
Another suggestion is to ask a local potter or clay sculptor to come in to
lend some advice (maybe you would be able to write a grant for a future
collaborative venture with the artist?). Potters are often happy to lend
advice and get more people excited about clay.
I feel that it is unwise to rely solely on auto-shutoffs on kilns. All of
those various parts and mechanisms can wear out or malfunction and an
overfired kiln generally means an expensive mess (ruined artwork, sad
artists, warped shelves, melted stilts, element problems, etc.)
You will need to have cones that match your firing temperature so if it is
cone 04, you need 04 cones.
I have found that I often need to fire more slowly than kiln manuals suggest
with my students' fragile and somewhat thick artworks. Hope that you live in
a town with a ceramic supply! I do not:(
Mary in Northern MN