Re: [teacherartexchange] kiln help

---------

From: Gayle Parent (gayleparent_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 06:09:49 PST

This response reminds me of the kiln at my former school. Now I have an electronic kiln (I guess that's what you would call it) which is computerized. I punch in information, and it gradually raises the temperature of the kiln. I check on it routinely to make sure nothing has gone haywire, but it is always doing just what it is supposed to do. It seems scary at first, but it's similar to using your oven at home, only hotter.

I fire during the day most of the time, or at night if I feel I must. Of course the kiln company will tell you to fire while you are there, they want no liability if something goes wrong. I sort of wish my district would have some guidelines based on some real data. I am not a ceramic artist, but an elementary school teacher who does a lengthy unit using clay.

Gayle