Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: March 01, 2011

---------

From: tara franzese (artmuse67_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2011 - 17:58:45 PST

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:01 AM, TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
digest <teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu> wrote:
> TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Tuesday, March 01, 2011.
>
> 1. Metropolitan Museum of Art Archives is pleased to announce that a newly processed collection is now open for scholarly research
> 2. Aaaaagh! Scissors!
> 3. Re: Aaaaagh! Scissors!
> 4. Youth Art Month Challenge
5. Kiln Help

Hello all,

I am new to the world of kilns and I have a brand new Skutt electric
(km 1027) kiln in my classroom just waiting to be used. However, I'm
really nervous about using it. I have a hood vent and when I called
tech support the operator said I should run the kiln with the lid
propped open and with one of the peep holes out. He also said I
should run the kiln during school when I am there just in case it
doesn't auto shut, I've seen kilns used before and I've never seen a
teacher run one while the students were in school. Plus...I'm nervous
about running the kiln when the students are there, and he said when
the kiln reaches 1000 degrees I should shut the lid. AND, if figuring
out all this weren't intimidating enough, I want to run a test fire
(the manual says run to cone 04) and I only have pyrometric cones that
are o6. AND I have clay from last year that's Sheffield brand (its
dark gray) and I have no idea what cone I should fire it to. If you
know anything about this, please help!