[teacherartexchange] Fwd: NY question: certified elem art teacher required?

---------

From: menichino (jlmenichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2010 - 14:42:09 PDT

Hi all --
In this time of budget cuts, I'm wondering:  is my district required
to have a certified art teacher teach art to elementary kids? I know
the State regulations Part 100 say that the students must have art,
but could it be taught by the classroom teacher?  I have an email in
to the NYState Ed Dept but I'm wondering if any of you might know.
Thanks --
Liz in rural NY