Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Call for Ideas

From: Jean King (kingjean_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 16:31:42 PDT

Hi Joe,

You might want to consider paper sculpture. Paper pop-ups and cut paper work are 3-D and gaining in popularity. Origami is also coming into its own. All of these fit the bill - no water and 3-D.

Check out the work of the following artists:

Cut paper, often referred to as paper sculpture or carving:
Jennifer Faick Linssen
Beatrice Coron
Jen Stark
Kako Ueda
Peter Callesen
Matt Hill
Patrick Gannon
Jad Fair
Kara Walker
Carmen Lomas Garza
Henri Matisse
Notan Design Instruction Video

Between the Folds trailer
Robert J. Lang
Origami USA
Paul Jackson
Vincent Floederer
        Mushroom instructions
        An origami crumpling technique
        Origami Seed
Origami Israeli Center
Michael LaFosse
Eric Joisel
Brian Chan

If you get the opportunity check out the movie "Between the Folds"
This should keep you busy until the end of school.

Have fun,

Jean King Art Teacher
Texas Art Education Association Region VI Art Representative
De Zavala Elementary
7521 Avenue H
Houston, TX 77012
713-924-1891 fax
713-775-6672 cell

Travel blog:
Teaching blog:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does."
- William James -

"We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
- Henry James -

On Mar 17, 2010, at 10:07 AM, <> <> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> A huge wrench has been thrown into my year. About a week ago I was informed that the remodel my school was scheduled to go through would begin with my classroom and I had to have everything packed and moved form my ceramic room in one weeks time. They were moving me and my classes to our small gym. Now I teach high school beginning art and three classes of ceramic. I won't have access to a kiln and the water they told me I had is in a small girls restroom.
> Now that the move is complete and we are on spring break I am trying to figure out what we are going to do when we get back to school. So I am writing for suggestions. I want to use this opportunity to do projects that I typically wouldn't do because they didn't fall under ceramic. So any suggestions on 3-D projects that don't require a lot of water and easy access to materials would be very appreciated.
> Thanks and Blessings
> Joe
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to