Re: [teacherartexchange] Call for Ideas

---------

From: Jean King (kingjean_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 16:31:42 PDT

Hi Joe,

You might want to consider paper sculpture. Paper pop-ups and cut paper work are 3-D and gaining in popularity. Origami is also coming into its own. All of these fit the bill - no water and 3-D.

Check out the work of the following artists:

Cut paper, often referred to as paper sculpture or carving:
Jennifer Faick Linssen http://www.jenniferfalcklinssen.com/index.html
Beatrice Coron http://www.beatricecoron.com/index.html
Jen Stark http://www.jenstark.com/sculpture_01.html
Kako Ueda http://www.kakoueda.com/
Peter Callesen http://www.petercallesen.com/index/index2.html
Matt Hill http://matthillart.com/
Patrick Gannon http://www.pgannon.com/
Jad Fair http://www.jadfair.org/
Kara Walker http://learn.walkerart.org/karawalker
        http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/walker/index.html
Carmen Lomas Garza http://www.carmenlomasgarza.com/
Henri Matisse http://www.henri-matisse.net/cut_outs.html
Notan Design Instruction Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--IFiH6zH68

Origami:
Between the Folds trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE4lqYzS2m0
Robert J. Lang http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/robert_lang_folds_way_new_origami.html
        http://www.langorigami.com/
Origami USA http://www.origami-usa.org/
Paul Jackson http://www.origami-artist.com/introduction.htm
Vincent Floederer http://www.origami-artist.com/crumpling.htm
        Crimp! http://www.le-crimp.org/
        Mushroom instructions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KevS_DMF2Ew
        An origami crumpling technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KevS_DMF2Ew
        Origami Seed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQWS3q2Fhxk
Origami Israeli Center http://www.origami.co.il/index.asp?lang=eng
Michael LaFosse http://www.origamido.com/
Eric Joisel http://www.ericjoisel.com/home.html
Brian Chan http://chosetec.darkclan.net/origami/

If you get the opportunity check out the movie "Between the Folds"
This should keep you busy until the end of school.

Have fun,

Jean King Art Teacher
Texas Art Education Association Region VI Art Representative
De Zavala Elementary
7521 Avenue H
Houston, TX 77012
713-924-1888
713-924-1891 fax
713-775-6672 cell

Travel blog: www.asthewhitecrowflies.blogspot.com
Teaching blog: www.newsfromtheartroom.blogspot.com

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does."
- William James -

"We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
- Henry James -