RE: [teacherartexchange] Call for Ideas

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2010 - 11:45:30 PDT

Great ideas for clay without clay -
Hand building techniques with other materials.... boy you could do a lot... and then the final project could be a project that combines all three (pinch, coil and slab) - trying to think of a material you could form a 'pinch pot' with that doesn't need water (or much water) paper pulp, teeny tiny with bread and glue dough... - outside if that is an option, ? Cardboard, leather, wood, rubber for slab... yarn, rope, wire, grasses, pine needles for coil.... - what can the students brainstorm?

Think on a different scale - really small clay projects (with sculpey if you are challenged with the location) - research different periods and cultures and have an entire history of clay - create a 3D timeline or shadowbox - a miniature museum.

What about using the weaving project incorporating cast off/found 'clay' - have the student search their basements and goodwill for the base -
Ellen

Hi,
Any chance you can get a quantity of air-dry clay? That way you could at
least do some clay?
Other 3D projects that I've found successful.....

Woven Rope Bowls - thick rope, wrapped in yarn, coiled to form the bowl.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Sue-baskets.htm
http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/coiled-fabric-bowl/pictures/index.html