[teacherartexchange] classroom music

---------

From: Peri Raygor (perigraphics_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 14 2010 - 20:38:48 PDT

Several good sources of background music for my classes are
background for movies such as Danny Elfman's compositions (PeeWee
Herman's Great Adventure). I also have a great collection of
European and USA period songwriters and composers from the
Smithsonian on CD. I took a class in dynamic teaching a few years
ago. The teacher made her own collection of tunes from the 60's with
messages specific to what behavior she was teaching i.e.. "Take out
the papers and the trash" one of my favorites at "zen the classroom"
time (never clean up!) For mandalas, Blessed Hildegard of Bingen
seems apropos. Another one for creativity is by the songwriter/
singer who wrote Don't worry, Be Happy, Bobby McFerrin.. He actually
does many classical kid's favorites on HUSH by Yoyoma who has quite a
collection for Asian inspired assignments. I could go on and on. I
love music in the classroom. However sometimes it can become an
issue, for instance if you play the radio, which station do you play
and when. Be careful playing student's ipods, sometimes the lyrics
are over the top and offensive.

Peri Raygor
perigraphics@earthlink.net