Re: [teacherartexchange] Field trips

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2010 - 12:24:15 PST

Hey Betty, I would definitely recommend starting with one night. Have about one parent for every
6 kids is the number they use for EF trips etc. Must be a good number. If you're still teaching middle school, they will try to sneak out at night after bed checks. We did checks in every room and then got chairs and sat out in the hall for an hour or so. Have the hotel shut off the phones to the kid's rooms (altho they all have cell phones now)...at least they won't bother other guests., no room service, no charges, and make sure they don't have the little fridges with snacks that are outrageously expensive. In the morning have the kids pack up their suitcases and sit on them outside their room until chaperones can check their rooms for damage and missing stuff--then they can go eat breakfast. Teach them that when they hear a knock on the door they need to ask who it is before they open it. Make every kid carry their own bag--it's amazing what some girls feel they need for one night! I would also recommend that before you go, you have a meeting with kids and at least one of their parents and explain that if they do anything illegal (drugs, alcohol, etc.) you will call the police and have them taken to the station and the parents will have to come and pick them up. If everyone signs a page with these rules before you go, the trip will be so much easier.

>>> Betty <bettycarol_40@sbcglobal.net> 3/11/2010 6:07 PM >>>
Do any of you take a group of students on overnight field trips? I keep thinking about organizing a one or two-night trip (not this year of course)to okc or Tulsa for a group of kids & some parents to see some museums & artist working spaces. I am weary of my field trip having to be back in time for the bus - I only have 5 hours "on the ground" so to speak.