Re: [teacherartexchange] Critique

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 15 2009 - 17:51:08 PDT

It may have been the 90's when we saw the last exhibit in Springfield.
Most watercolor shows are tending toward "over the top" - I'm just not
there yet. I was always impressed by the quality of the show. I'll just
keep plugging away.
                                        Thanks, Woody

On Mar 15, 2009, at 5:34 PM, RalphandGretchen wrote:

> HI Woody,
> I've been mostly a lurker for the past few years but have been a
> member of
> the list for about 10 years - and have seen much of your work.
> Besides
> that, I live 30 miles from Springfield, MO and have been to
> Watercolor USA
> many times. Miraculously enough, I was in the show when I was in Grad
> School (Class of 1995) but not since then. Boo, hiss. (smiling,
> though)
>
> It seems to me from recent shows that accepted work has got to be
> "Over the
> Top" in terms of subject matter, technique, different point of
> view, size,
> paint application, etc. I've even been seeing some mixed media,
> acrylic,
> and media that I wouldn't have expected there, but I'm glad to see it.
> Shows I saw in the 90s were very photo-realistic-oriented. They
> must get
> hundreds of entries and their gallery is large but not huge. Have
> you ever
> seen one of the show's catalogues?
>
> Is your painting large? I think I would finish the background in
> keeping
> with the rest of the painting, though. Then let the list look at it.
>
> That's all I can offer on the spur of the moment. Hope it helps.
> Gretchen Schultz
>
> P.S. Sorry to "reply" to the listserv, but it's the only way I
> could get it
> to send.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net