[teacherartexchange] Art304

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 14 2009 - 10:20:22 PDT

Hi, all!

I wanted to share a neat project my students are working on. We've
made a sort of "wikipedia" of local artists that we call Art304. Each
student interviewed a local artist and wrote (or is writing... it's
still a work in progress) an article about that artist, complete with
images of their work.

Like I said, it's a work in progress, but please check back often.
Students will be completing their ARTicles this week, and I will
upload them as I grade them. The site will be updated regularly as I
get new information (albeit more slowly in the summertime, when I'm on
the road.)

Check it out: http://www.art304.com

This project has become so much bigger than I had originally intended.
 I wanted to find something more interesting and meaningful than a
regular research paper, and that's where the idea came from. But as
we started interviewing artists, and the students really started
getting to know their artists, it became a much bigger deal. Some of
the artists gave art to the students, and one even cried with
appreciation when he read his article. We're getting great feedback
from the public, as well. Many galleries are going to start handing
out cards with info about the site to their patrons and visitors so
the public can use this resource to learn about local artists. I've
even been asked to do a newspaper interview sometime next week, but
I'm trying to get some of the artists and students to do it because I
think this is really about them (and uh... I hate being interviewed.
Ironic?)

I highly recommend this idea to anyone wanting to introduce students
to local artists. If anyone does something like this (or has already)
please email me and we'll link to your site.

Becky
Charleston, WV

--
Carpe You Some Diem!