[teacherartexchange] tie-dye tissue paper

---------

From: Monica Howie (mhowie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 06:50:19 PDT

Does anyone have advice on creating a tie-dye effect using wetted
tissue papers? I read a lesson plan in the September 2008 issue of
School Arts, and the description was to "paste" squares of layered
tissue papers down using water, allow them to dry on the page, and then
remove the papers to create a tie-dye effect with the transfered dye.
Upon making my own sample, I found that very little dye transfered and
the effect was there but very very light and subtle. Does anyone have
any words of wisdom (tissue paper brands that might work better than
others, or using something other than water to pull dye out of the
paper) or another technique used to create a similar effect?

Thanks,
Monica