RE: [teacherartexchange] Celtic Knotwork

---------

From: 'Roy & Amy Broady' (amybroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 09 2009 - 15:24:46 PDT

Rebecca and all,

I am working on a Celtic knot project with my 4th graders. I learned a
simple base figure (called "Headless Dancing Man") that can be modified in
many ways to form a variety of Celtic knots from a DVD called "Amazing
Watercolors: Projects Using the Wax Resist Technique." It is by Crystal
Productions. This video was a worthwhile investment for me for the Celtic
Knot technique alone! This method, presented by Tina Cintron, is simpler
than any of the methods I have seen online. Plus, kids get a kick out of
"Headless Dancing Man." I have taught them further how to weave a ring
(drawn, of course, not literal weaving) through basic interlacing to make a
more sophisticates formation.

To ease in drawing squares and straight edges of a uniform thickness, I cut
templates and straight edges from surplus cardboard. I cut straight edges in
3 thicknesses: half-inch, three-quarter-inch, and one-inch. The cardboard
pieces proved immensely helpful.

Best wishes,
Amy in TN