[teacherartexchange] Oh my I was crabby today

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 06 2009 - 11:33:27 PST

Second hour during clean up a got a lecture from a girl (whose parents believe satan comes in through the television), because I was setting up "Masters of Illusion" for the afternoon. Hadn't shown anything, hadn't asked her to watch anything, she accused me of "trying to make her go behind my daddy's back". I am so frustrated by dealing with extreme fundamentalism. Her older sisters, interestingly enough, never had a problem watching videos.

third hour didn't "earn" the video, we did the same concept out of a book. If their behavior improves we'll watch the video next week.

Fourth hour really was into the video, until the brief glimpse of drawings for the Sistine Chapel ceiling, and an 8th grade girl stood up and loudly proclaimed it inappropriate. She didn't do this when she saw it last year, nor did she cause the stir she hoped, I simply apologized for her being offended by seeing, in art class, a painting that is loved all over the world as possibly the greatest work of art made by a single pair of human hands and which has been on the ceiling of one of the largest Christian churches on earth for about 500 hundred years and open to tourists for at least a century.

Sigh. I am trying to cheer up.