RE: [teacherartexchange] question

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 19:36:57 PST

Hi
  Welcome to the group. While I don't have a syllabus to share, what I CAN share are ideas. Our high school has an art appreciation course that has broken Art History up into 6 main areas (Stone Age, Egyptian, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Impressionism and Modern). In each of these areas, the teacher teaches about the times, connections and concepts, focuses on certain important artists, and then leads students through a hands on exercise where the students "become an artist of the time". I love the sarcophagii they make with old Barbie dolls wrapped up and placed inside, for example. For the "moderns", they make a dinner place setting (plates, utensils, etc) in the style of a specific artist.

  My only request would be NOT to "stick" to the "tried and true" artists. That is to say when I get students in my high school art classes, they ALL know Van Gogh and seem very surprised that there were any OTHER artists working at that time. Same goes for Degas, Frida Kahlo, Jackson Pollack, and Warhol.

  San D