[teacherartexchange] art and poetry

---------

From: Dulcius (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 08:16:54 PDT

Hello everyone,
I have a copyright related question for you to ponder: what are the
copyright ramifications (if any) of using words written by someone else in
your visual artwork? I am specifically thinking of poetry, but this could
apply to prose, lyrics, etc. I know when I was in highschool, students
doing calligraphy did this all the time, and we never thought about any
copyright issues. But would there be some? Is it "taken care of" just by
including the poet's/lyricist's/author's name? Is it different for student
art as opposed to professional art that may be sold?
What do you all think?
-Lydia in Toledo