[teacherartexchange] new MS art teacher

---------

From: Liza Baker (lizanbaker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 08:11:53 PDT

Hello comrades, after 25 years, about two years ago I left my career
as an interior designer and thought I might try teaching. I went to
Grad school for some courses for a year, took an art history course
later, and then was able to land a part time job teaching art to
middle schoolers at a private christian school! My life style has
radically changed, including my income, but I feel like my brain has
been turned up red hot with a new and fresh passion! I love the
quirky teens and my own exceedingly rocky youth(I have not forgotten)
has equip me to deal with the sometimes difficulty of this age-need I
say more?

I use art history as kind of a compass to inspire the projects I
choose. I have learned to make detailed transparencies and use these
as a visual aide to teach about 10 min. of art history and then the
studio art (25 min.) comes after that. I am reading,"The Story of
Art", by Gombrich from cover to cover. I highly recommend to the art
lover-its awesome! My summer goal is to learn keynote ( for the Mac
enlightened) otherwise known as power point. I may go back to my home
town school, ODU to add more art history as a minor and get my
certification and whatever else I need, but the nuts and bolts are
loose in my planning and writing out lessons.

Any feedback about art history/visual combo approach ideas that teach
thinking and creativity? I find most lesson plans rather uninspired.
How does one organize three grades of curriculum? Any format ideas-I'm
a hard core right brainer and spend way too long writing up lessons I
think. -Liza