Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: March 24, 2008

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 - 05:49:01 PDT

Corinne brought up a topic I often struggle with at the elementary art
level--assessing student learning in a meaningful way. I have nearly
800 students on a weekly basis, grades 3-4-5, and combine observation
regarding the project, and individual progress, rubrics (some I score,
others are student scored), and group discussion. Often, our projects
are integrations involving other content areas. Additionally, I am
supposed to keep my grades up to date online, which I do monthly, and
parents can check these online grades, in addition to the report cards
that go home. The usual thief of good instruction, time, also limits
how much feedback I can disseminate to 800 students once a month (the
projects usually take a month, once a week class for 45 minutes). Is
anyone in a similar position? What do you do?

To unsubscribe go to