Re: [teacherartexchange] Need assistance structuring lesson plans k-4th.

---------

From: Gayle Parent (gayleparent_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2008 - 21:06:50 PDT

What a fun after school class you are offering. Good for you!

I think you should start online or at the library to find various art
lesson plans. People on this site could easily recommend materials
to try, or favorite web sites for art lesson plans. I'm pretty new
at all this, so I'm not the best resource. I don't have a favorite
website yet.

For the little kids I find that one of the best ways to guide them is
to show them a technique first, then read them a story, and do your
art lesson based on the story. For children ages 4-6, what you read
in the books is very real to them, so keep that in mind. Your local
librarian can recommend books, or you can choose favorites from your
children's books.

Favorite lessons that I have for my kindergartners include making
paper bag puppets, then interacting with them. They can be people
puppets, or animal puppets, and the kids LOVE them. The materials
can be very simple. They may get very excited, active and noisy
while they are using the puppets.

They also love pipe cleaners. One or two pipe cleaners and
instructions to "see what you can make" will give them a lot of fun.

With clay I have them make texture tiles (little lesson on texture
1st) by pressing various items into the clay. They find it
fascinating. With either group, a large sheet of paper, some naked
crayons (hysterically funny word), and the kids can go around putting
the paper on things, coloring over the textures to see what appears
on the paper. They LOVE that, and can make some pretty cool art by
doing that.

The list is endless, have fun!
Gayle