[teacherartexchange] Need assistance structuring lesson plans k-4th.

---------

From: Arpi Krikorian (arpi71_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2008 - 20:26:45 PDT

Hi Everyone,
I'm very excited about finding this exchange!I have always wanted to be an
art teacher for kids. I have a BFA in Illustration and have worked as a
professional artist for several years. My daughter's friends have always
asked me to teach them how to draw and paint so I took a leap of faith. Two
weeks ago I started an after school art program.I have 2 age groups: 4-6 and
7-10 for 1 hour and 15 minutes once a week each. Marvin Geshen and his site
have been invaluable. I would appreciate any additional feedback of lesson
plans for this age range. I have started teaching both groups about "line."
However I'm having difficulty keeping the younger group focused. I don't
feel they are being engaged in the lesson. They are excited to learn and I
make it interactive but they zip through the day's project in minutes and
become distracted. I need to figure out how to keep them interested for at
least a full hour. I would appreciate any suggestions for different lesson
plans and sequence of themes to introduce so that I can devise a clear
guideline for at least a few month's worth of lessons.
Thank you very much for your willingness to share your experience and
insight!
Arpi Krikorian
Harlequin Art School
Sierra Madre, CA