Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] watercolor lesson plan for 3rd-5th graders

From: Gayle Parent (gayleparent_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2008 - 22:17:29 PDT

After teaching the color wheel to 3rd graders, I like to start
teaching watercolor by teaching a simple lesson on the difference
between the way watercolor acts on wet paper, and how it behaves on
dry paper. I have the students come up with some words describing
how it looks on wet paper, i.e. fuzzy, spreading, soft, "like a
caterpillar", etc. Then we brainstorm times when fuzzy is useful,
and when we would want to avoid letting wet color touch wet. Then
they try it themselves. This first lesson seems to be a pretty good
first step in getting the kids to understand and be able to control
their watercolors.

Woody knows much more about watercolors than I do. Hopefully he'll
weigh in soon.