[teacherartexchange] Freezing Film

---------

From: Robert Oppecker (roppecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2008 - 07:13:22 PDT

Just an interesting story about cameras, film and freezing weather. I
grew up in Atlantic City and one winter back in the early seventies
the surf froze in wonderful swirl patterns. I was a young teenager
with my first real camera, a Nikormat, aka poor man's Nikon. The air
was crisp and everything frozen around me as I squeezed off image
after image of the surf. And then my film froze up and as I tried to
advance it broke one of the gear teeth that advanced the film. I took
the film back to my basement darkroom and recovered all the images. I
being a pimply poor kid never had the money to fix my camera but found
that it would work and still works to this day by just avoiding taking
that final shot on the roll and rewinding. I love traditional
photography and would truly hate to see it disappear from our schools.
Be that as it may I too have been seduced by the ease and immediacy of
digital media.

Here is a link to a show that I am in winning third place for a clay vessel!
http://www.dailypress.com/features/dp-now_artistswhoteach_0229feb29,0,1532958.story
;

Love this list!
Robert Oppecker