[teacherartexchange] New Photography Teacher

---------

From: Patrick Cosgrove (doylecosgrove_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 08:29:18 PDT

This is my first post to the list, so forgive me if
I'm asking for duplicate information, or if this becomes a re-post.

Next fall I'm
going to leave my English classroom and take over the
photography darkroom at our high school. The course
has always been film only, and in a time of staff
layoffs there was a strong sentiment that it was a
dinosaur course that could only continue to be
justified if it was brought into the digital age.
This is not my personal feeling, especially since my
personal background is strictly darkroom experience,
but clearly the students' future personal and career
exposure to photography is likely to be digital.

So.... I'm asking for help/suggestions in gradually
converting from lab work to digital photography. I've
seen suggestions for GIMP, and I'll explore that, as
I'll be trying to do this with very little (read:
non-PhotoShop) budget. Any philosophical viewpoints
on the virtues of teaching film before digital, or
vice versa, would be welcome. Anyone making a digital
course work with very few computers available? Say,
three for a class of 35? Thanks for anything related.

Pat Cosgrove