Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: March 15, 2008

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2008 - 10:22:51 PDT

In regards to sculpture ideas with 8th graders, I have 2 ways you can
go. If you have computers, you can downlaod a FREE program called
"Sketch-Up", which is basically an easy 3D modelling program, then
students could build what they drew in 3D (sort of like blueprints,
but FREE).
Another way to go is build with anything recyclable (i.e. plastic
bottles, soda cans, extra cardboard, cereal boxes, etc.). They could
study Gaudi, I.M. Pei & other "non-traditional" architects. If you
want to go the extra mile, they could use plaster of paris impregnated
gauze over all to unify, or papier mache, or just acrylic paint,
depending on your budget.
Students love working 3D, but it can be a storage nightmare depending
if the projects are individual or collaborative.--L.G.