Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: March 14, 2008

---------

From: Lucy Brown Karwoski (lucy.kski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 08:25:59 PDT

Re: what do I do next?!?!

Hi Terri,

I am having great success with a related project: design your dream
house. Students sketched floorplans, after viewing sample plans and
models. Initial sketches were then transferred to graph paper,
letting one square=2ft. Models are easy to construct. I use mat
board for bases and walls. I cut bases size of the floor plan, and
cut 3/4" wide strips ( with my paper cutter) of the leftover board to
use for walls. I cannot give my students exacto knives for cutting
windows, so they will be drawn, or cut like doorways and
then have bits of board glued back on. We use tacky glue, for it's
quick holding properties.

The walls, doorways, etc. are easy to measure against the graph paper
model. The students measure, mark, score a bit with a firm pencil
line, and fold on the line. The board is able to be cut with small
safety scissors.

This project has one of my classes totally involved, to the point that
they can't wait to get back to work on it. It has been really
rewarding to me, for my school's population is a group of at-risk
children, many of whom are unmotivated in school.

I hope this will help you.

Lucy,
L.I.