Re: [teacherartexchange] what do i do next?!?!

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 10:35:52 PDT

Wire coathanger/pantyhose sculptures are a lot of fun. Have them
create interesting shapes by unwinding wire coathangers and then
twisting them around to make interesting 3-D abstract shapes, then put
the two ends into holes drilled into a block of wood. Stretch
pantyhose over the whole thing, spraypaint (faux stone looks really
cool, but is cost-prohibitive) and voila! This would be an
interesting way to begin studying calder. Also, this would make a
neat way to do mobiles -- make a huge one suspending the shapes,
themselves (omitting the wood block, maybe, and just taping the wires
together?)

Richard Serra is also an interesting sculptor to study. Take photos
of public spots near you that are crying out for public art and
"commission" the students to design pieces to go there. (Good way to
reinforce that art goes beyond the classroom door.)

Becky