[teacherartexchange] Please join us for the 12th of A World United through Art in Thailand!!!

---------

From: Yuvabadhana Foundation (ybf_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 20:22:44 PDT

Dear Linda,

My name is Churaipon C. Klaijumlang from Bangkok, Thailand.
I have recently registered for the TeacherArtExchange
Discussion Group. Though my expertise is not art teaching,
but I have worked on children's art promotion in Thailand
for the last 15 years.

I have worked for a youth development here in Thailand.
The name of the organization is YUVABADHANA FOUNDATION.
Our main focus is to support our Thai children who have
least options in life to be best and proper educated.
We also work on promoting well-rounded learning experience
to Thai children in general. We encourage art education
and conducted few art education projects annually. One
of the project is children's art competition. We invite
children from all over the country to participate. We
grant them scholarship for those who win the competition
and choose some of the winning awards to make cards and
calendars. We sale the cards to raise fund and use the
fund to print a children-picture book to be distributed
to all rural schools. We raise extra fund from other
sources to print children's art wall calendar and send
them out as art educational tools to EVERY public school
across the country.

Yet, our mission has not been that smooth as planned all
the time. In 1997, Thai economy failed. We had to dig
deep to find what we could do to fund our art project.
We found some art works which had not won the awards and
the artists did not come back to claim them back. We
decide to put them on sale to raise fund. In doing so,
we were connected with another group of art teachers
across the ocean. They were conducting 'A World United
through Art' to help their students learn and enjoy art
beyond the distance and culture. Socorrito Diaz, the
founder of the group, from Baldwin School of Puerto Rico
was in charge of the 5th exhibition. She called and
invited us to join them. With little resource as we did,
we decided to join the group on one condition. We would
not take the art work back and the host would hold a
silent auction for us. In doing so, we simply used the
fund to support our event as a sponsored money from the
host.

Time went by. A catastrophe of Tsunami hit Thailand, along
with many countries in the region. It was 2004. It was also
when Baldwin School was holding the 10th of A World United
through Art in Puerto Rico. The students there heard of the
hardship of their fellow students in Thailand. They took an
initiative to hold a small fund-raising by making and selling
bookmarks. They painted and made them by themselves and raised
$5,500 for Thai students. The amount enabled us to secure a
grant six children who lost their parents to go on with their
education till they would finish high school. That was not the
end of it. The children's hearts for the suffering did touch
the hearts of the adults. The school and the alumni association
of Baldwin school to hold a fund-raising golf tournament and
raised $10,000 for us. This helped set up another fund for 11
children who lost their parents to continue their education till
they would finish high school.

These two events have been real testimony to me how our world
were united through ART. They marked the history of how children
could learn to care and love those whom they have never met and
seen and how they could support them with their artistic skills.
It is precious and beautiful.

This year, 2008, Yuvabadhana Foundation is going to host the 12th
of A World United through Art in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. We would
like to invite children from all over the world to join us by
painting on the theme 'Colors from MY Land.' We then will exhibit
them on the them 'Colors from MANY Lands.'

Linda, as you are gathering paintings from all states, could you
please also joining us on this mission? Please kindly join us for
the event. Please kindly invite friends from other countries to
join us as well. I look forward to hearing from you. As I spent
some good years at University of Oregon and also Oregon State
University, I do hope that I would have an honor to work with
another Oregonian like yourself.

I am sending you further details on the event via another email.
Thank you for your kind attention. Hope to hear from you soon.

Warmest regards,
Churaipon