[teacherartexchange] Urban Curators - web site - photo project idea

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2007 - 12:31:27 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

This site might spark a lesson .....

Urban Curators:
http://www.urbancurators.com/

copied from the web site:

"The goal of the Urban Curators project is to engage the public in the
celebration of the decaying urban environment, recognizing its
inherent aesthetic qualities as well as the important role that it
plays within our cultural habitat. The project achieves its goal by
elevating common, overlooked objects and spaces within the city of
Providence, Rhode Island to the level of high art.

"Literally hanging gold, gallery-style frames in derelict spaces
within the city, we are framing objects and views that are of
aesthetic or cultural value. By utilizing frames that one might expect
to find in an art museum or gallery, viewers are forced to make
connections between the urban landscape and the museum environment."

"The frames themselves are hung with double-sided hardware tape and
are easily removed without harm to the spaces in which they are
placed."

This might be a neat project idea for your photography class -
temporarily secure frame on spot of interest to photograph.

Sergio sent me this link.

Regards,

Judy Decker