Re:[teacherartexchange] elementary/early secondary textbooks

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 08:58:30 PDT

While we're on the subject of textbooks - can anyone
recommend a textbook for 5th/6th grade that is not
just how to and hands on projects? I see 5th & 6th
grade for 40 minutes a day - in 9 week rotations and
because of this we work on units, not just stand alone
projects but the books I have seen so far are quick
introductions to an idea and then illustrated how to's
(how to make a print, how to make a pinch pot, etc. )
but the problem for me is that I don't always have
those supplies so I like to use the book to introduce
an idea/have an illustration to look at and talk about
but when I change up the lesson it tends to confuse
them to the point that it's easier not to use a book
at all. So I'm looking for something more flexible
where I can still show them an idea, maybe have some
worksheets for working out ideas, writing about art
and buillding vocabulary without the hands on aspect
spelled out for them in the book.

Thanks!

Chris in Central Arkansas