Re: [teacherartexchange] External hard drive for backups

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 07:51:07 PDT

I agree with Marvin. They are a great peace of mind and
transportable. Plus you can make incremental backups. If you decide
to get into video, some programs require an external (or additional)
hard drive. FireWire is faster than USB 2 by just a bit, but if you
have a higher-end Mac, you might even have a FireWire 800 port - much
faster. Buying a drive that has multiple connectivity options is a
good idea, especially if the cost isn't that much more. Buy a larger
size than what you'll think you need. It's a mazing how fast 100GB
can fill up when you have high-quality photos and other media. Plus
you can use it to back up other crucial data. Full-size drives are
cheaper than the portable 2.5" drives, but are obviously larger. I
have one full-size and one portable - which is powered by the
FireWire port.

Melissa