[teacherartexchange] waxing bottoms of pots?

---------

From: Jeannie (jean1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2007 - 00:52:19 PDT

My collegue at the high school suggested I try his method of waxing the
bottoms of pots that were going to be dipped in glaze. It worked
wonderfully well, made the dipping and shelving of glazed pots so
simple and easy. No stilting needed. It was really fast, and I love
fast. I've got 600 kids every week, lots of tiny pieces. This way
kids spend their time using underglazes, I wax(in an electric frypan
with beeswax) and dip in clear glaze and the stuff looks beautiful.

Except .... firing it is very smelly. I start the kiln after the kids
leave, let the kiln sitter handle the shut-off. The next morning the
ware is done. But my room smells like birthday candles for a couple of
days. Not sure this is healthy. My set-up is fairly new. We
renovated 5 1/2 years ago and the art room is in the new wing and has a
kiln room built into a corner. The kiln is vented as mandated by the
state of PA.

I've spent a few hours on the web trying to get info about this. Not
much luck.

Jeannie in PA