Re: [teacherartexchange] It takes all levels

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 15:19:53 PDT

On Mar 26, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Woody Duncan wrote:

> They should be shown how to do indepth research toward a meaningful
> result - rather than just copying and pasteing from web sites. There
> are so many options like animation software and film editing. They can
> write scripts, develop storyboards, shoot sceens and produce short
> movies about issues revelant to young people. Give them the tools, the
> skills and good direction and get out of the way.
> Woody

What I love about teaching technology ( and I teach Photoshop, Flash
and video editing with high hopes to add more advanced programs
next year) is that the tech is the perfect place for student
directed learning.

They need the direction in choosing meaningful themes, topics and
choice based areas of interest that relate to cross curricular
learning, but they hardly need instruction in navigating the software.

After my first year teaching the digital and spending hours and hours
trying to prepare, I learned very quickly that what took me hours and
hours and only took them minutes. What my hours and hours are
better spent with is teaching them how to make it look better ----
they will find the buttons. What my hours and hours are better spent
with is finding the "meaning" and making the connections and
trying to make a little stab at where this can all go.

The web is filled with every body and his brother making PhotoShop
manipulations. The question is ---what for?

What technology will we be teaching in 10 years? Who knows?
Unless we teach right now that all this has some potential to change
the face and nature of what art is???? What will art be in 10 years?

Patty