Re: [teacherartexchange] It takes all levels

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2007 - 14:34:01 PDT

On 3/25/07, Peggy Woolsey <eoolspeg@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
> While we, as educators, may wish to shut down the technology, it is
> where our students live, and if we want to engage them in meaningful
> learning education we must make it meaningful to the student. If you
> want to have students dialogue on these deep issues try starting a
> blog for students to dialogue on. Students who may not speak up in
> class may surprise you with their thoughts when put into a different
> context. :-)

Everything can be overused - phones, computers, music, eating, exercise, etc.
If we are concerned about abuse or overuse of technology then we need
to steer our students into a variety of productive uses for
technology. I much prefer students learn word processing and
spreadsheet creation than using the idiot softwares created around
specific lessons. They should be learning to edit and manipulate
photos in photoshop and creating web pages rather than just surfing
the web mindlessly.
They should be shown how to do indepth research toward a meaningful
result - rather than just copying and pasteing from web sites. There
are so many options like animation software and film editing. They can
write scripts, develop storyboards, shoot sceens and produce short
movies about issues revelant to young people. Give them the tools, the
skills and good direction and get out of the way.
Woody

--
Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
        mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net