Re: [teacherartexchange] what levels of digital technology will we be teaching in 10 years?!

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 18:16:04 PDT

On 3/25/07, Harold Olejarz <holejarz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been doing tech presentations at conferences for years and I
> always make a point of saying that if we art educators do not seize
> the digital tools others will. Then we will all suffer the
> consequences of technology teachers teaching what art teachers should
> be teaching.
> Harold

I'd take Harold's advice anytime - seize it or loose it. But let me add my two
cents. As you teach digital don't forget that it is only another visual tool.
Students need to understand the basics we have always taught: Composition,
Good Design, Color Choices, Elements and Principles, etc.

When I got my first chance to teach digital photography and web
design using a complete computer lab, the lab was not available for
several weeks at the start of the semester. So I used art lessons
that I hoped would relate to good design on the computer screen.
Here are some examples:
http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/rosedale/Elements.html
http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/rosedale/Principals.html

Don't leave good basic visual design behind when you teach using all
the newest technology.
Woody

--
Woody, Retired in Albuquerque