Re: [teacherartexchange] what levels of digital technology will we be teaching in 10 years?!

---------

From: Harold Olejarz (holejarz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 14:21:14 PDT

Hi,

Technology offers art educators great new tools. The key concepts and
ideas that we teach don't change. Good art is god art! Good ideas come
through no matter what the medium. Sloppy work and an uncaring
attitude is easily spotted if the student is using a pencil or the
best digital tools available.

Six years ago I left the traditional media art room and have been
teaching in "Computer Labs" ever since. I enjoy what I am doing and
look forward to the challenges that developments in technology will
raise. I am pleased that the students I am teaching know more about
how to use digital tools than ever before. it means i can teach them
more and it also pushes me to learn more.

I don't buy into the digital native line. I have been working with
computers since 1985 and my middle school students weren't even born
then. I have put in more time on using technology than they have. I
may not know how to text message or download a ringtone but that is
something that I choose not to know. It is irrelevant to my interests
and goals.

One thing to keep in mind about the complicated apps that are out
there is that they are designed for people in business who use them
every day for many hours. Software is complex and it is not realistic
to be an expert at Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Corel
Draw and Paint and all the other apps that are out there.

My big gripe is that schools need to do more in the tech support area,
keeping their systems up and running and providing their teachers with
tech support and the opportunity to learn and do more.

I have been doing tech presentations at conferences for years and I
always make a point of saying that if we art educators do not seize
the digital tools others will. Then we will all suffer the
consequences of technology teachers teaching what art teachers should
be teaching.

Harold

Harold Olejarz
Art/Tech Teacher