[teacherartexchange] It takes all levels

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 14:15:25 PDT

I love you folks. In fact, I could never totally dis technology with
such great people as you on this list, always helpful. It must seem
to most of the younger teachers that this argument of mine is
irrelevant to the lives of younger people. And yet, an interesting
thing happened in a research methods grad course I was taking. One of
the youngest teachers works with an organization called Katimavik
working with youth- and based on community work and outdoor
education. She said that all technology is banned from the residences
(except one phone, one tv and one computer). Students live there full
time. The teacher said that after a short time, most of them really
liked the situation, felt their communication was better, and vowed
to limit their computer, cell phone, etc. etc. use in future. Many of
the older teachers couldn't understand why the young people couldn't
have their computers etc!
Thanks,
Peggy

While we, as educators, may wish to shut down the technology, it is
where our students live, and if we want to engage them in meaningful
learning education we must make it meaningful to the student. If you
want to have students dialogue on these deep issues try starting a
blog for students to dialogue on. Students who may not speak up in
class may surprise you with their thoughts when put into a different
context. :-)
~Michal

Social justice issues are great topics for Wiki sites!
  Wikis are simple and do not require much maintenance.
  In fact, you could have your own students take care
of it for you. It can extend the discussion you have
in class to out side of class and bring in others from
outside.

Just a thought! :-)

Take care,

Diane