Re: [teacherartexchange] what levels of digital technology will we be teaching in 10 years?!

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 13:42:34 PDT

I agree that the ringtones and wallpapers for student's cell phones can be
annoying, but I am comparing their downloading to the ease in which they
acquire everything else: digital ownership transfered with a point, click,
and save. By having students create their own wallpapers and ringtones they
will gain appreciation for the work and creative abilities of those who
created the items to begin with. I believe we are struggling with the same
issues as many other districts - the use of cell phones, lap tops, myspace,
etc is so integrated into student's daily lives. We need to learn to
integrate what they already do into their education. Many teachers
immediately want something banned because they don't know how to deal with
the issues or they don't want to mess with them. Students are amazingly
creative when it comes to getting around the rules that we educators create.
Students are able to bypass most surf-control programs with a simple Google
search, so how do we teach them to surf responsibly? To find the information
they need without getting sidetracked? While we, as educators, may wish to
shut down the technology, it is where our students live, and if we want to
engage them in meaningful learning education we must make it meaningful to
the student. If you want to have students dialogue on these deep issues try
starting a blog for students to dialogue on. Students who may not speak up
in class may surprise you with their thoughts when put into a different
context. :-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

Don't argue with stupid people.
They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.