Re: [teacherartexchange] what levels of digital technology will we be teaching in 10 years?!

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 10:42:59 PDT

Hi Peggy,

Our consumer oriented society is driving this constant
change in technology...it is so exhausting to keep up.

We need to focus on what we do with technology, not
technology itself.

However, it seems people get so sidetracked with the
stuff of technology rather than what can be done with
technology.

The biggest challenge is to determine how to integrate
technology effectively into the art classroom and into
the art curriculum. The mindless use of technology is
not the right way.

There are ways to stimulate higher order thinking
using technology, but many of the professional
development training available focuses just on how to
use the software, rather than on how to integrate it
into the classroom.

It is frustrating and exhausting. I can't keep up,
either. I don't even try anymore. I focus on
pedagogy and methodology rather than the latest new
gadget.

To me the latest new social learning technologies hold
the most promise for the art classroom: wikis,
podcasts, social bookmarks, second life, etc. These
social learning technologies can be used to help
students talk about art and exchange ideas about art
with each other or students in other classrooms or in
other countries. There are safe ways to do this, as
well. This can extend art discussions beyond the
classroom and can stimulate higher order learning,and
metacognition.

Great comments, Peggy! :-)