Re: [teacherartexchange] what levels of digital technology will we be teaching in 10 years?!

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2007 - 03:43:21 PDT

Thank you for this response Diane. I'm getting a sense of fear among
us that we will not be able to "keep up" with the the technological
Jones' and I'm sure this we will never get fully on top of it. This
is the nature of our economy, to keep us feeling the next lack of
something so we will get out there and buy it in some way, shape and/
or form. Our school systems are buying in wholesale to the technology
fix, often, I think, to the detriment of higher level thinking
skills. My art students want to download and use images constantly in
their work. I have begun resisting this, and insisting that they pull
more out of themselves. The results are more satisfying to us both
(students and teacher) but it is harder, and slower. Students with
laptops often spend a good deal of their time playing games, hidden
behind their screens while teachers of these students struggle with
the technology. Sure, there's great stuff out there, I use it myself
in the forms of video editing and digital photography. But keeping
the whole thing in perspective is important--most of the world's
people have never made a phone call.
Thanks,
Peggy